What is W-9 Form?
Whether you work as an employee, or a freelancer, you must work with Form W-9.
A W-9 is used to request the taxpayer tax identification number (TIN) of a US person, and to certify that the number is correct. Your TIN is either your Social Security Number, or your company’s Employer Identification Number (EIN).
A “person”, according to the W-9 instructions, includes:
- An individual who is a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien
- A partnership, corporation, company, or association created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States
- Any estate (other than a foreign estate)
- A domestic trust
A requester is anyone required to file an information return, and a payee is anyone required to provide a taxpayer identification number (TIN) to the requester. As the IRS explains, there are a number of reasons why a requester may need your TIN to file tax-related documents:
- If you work as an independent contractor or a self-employed person, you’ll receive a 1099-MISC that documents your earnings. Starting in tax year 2020, your earnings will be reported on Form 1099-NEC.
- If you receive interest income, the payer must send a Form 1099-INT. You’ll also receive Form 1099-DIV for any dividend payments.
- Form 1099-S is generated for proceeds from the sale of real estate.
- Mortgage interest you paid is reported to you on Form 1098.
- Form 1099-A is issued for the acquisition or abandonment of secured property.
- Cancellation of debt requires a 1099-C form.
- If you make contributions to an IRA, you’ll receive Form 5498.
In each case, the entity that creates the tax form (requester) needs your TIN.
How to Complete the W-9
Here’s the top portion of a W-9:
On lines 1 and 2, you enter either your name or your company’s name. You indicate your federal tax classification on line 3. If you’re filing a W-9 for your company, verify your firm’s business structure (C corporation, LLC, etc.) and complete line 3.
Check the W-9 instructions to determine if line 4 applies to your situation. Your address is posted to lines 5 and 6. Line 7 and the requester’s name and address are optional.
Below are parts 1 and 2 of the form. Note that your signature is your certification that the information you provide is correct.
If you’re a business owner and need to generate W-9 forms, use technology to produce accurate W-9 forms in less time.
At Form Pros, we take the guesswork out of creating professional and legally binding documents. Our intuitive software guides you through each step of the process, and you can have the documents you need for a fraction of the cost you would pay an attorney.
Use Form Pros to generate accurate W-9 forms in less time.
W-9 Tax Form
- Instant download
- Preview pre-purchase
- Expert help
- Easy to follow steps